As in previous years, UCR plans to observe a Winter Holiday Closure during the 2018-2019 holiday season.
The campus is scheduled to close beginning Saturday, December 22, 2018, and will reopen on Wednesday, January 2, 2019. Pursuant to Personnel Policy 2.210: Absence from Work and relevant provisions of our collective bargaining agreements, the campus will observe the holidays on the following days:
Winter Holiday Closure Dates | Actual Holidays | Holiday Observed/Leave Taken
- Saturday, December 22, 2018 | None | N/A
- Sunday, December 23, 2018 | None | N/A
- Monday, December 24, 2018 | Christmas Eve | Christmas Eve
- Tuesday, December 25, 2018 | Christmas Day | Christmas Day
- Wednesday, December 26, 2018 | None | Curtailment Leave
- Thursday, December 27, 2018 | None | Curtailment Leave
- Friday, December 28, 2018 | None | Curtailment Leave
- Saturday, December 29, 2018 | None | N/A
- Sunday, December 30, 2018 | None | N/A
- Monday, December 31, 2018 | New Year’s Eve | New Year’s Eve
- Tuesday, January 1, 2019 | New Year’s Day | New Year’s Day
Four University-paid holidays will be observed while the campus is closed. However, three days (December 26 through 28, 2018) are considered curtailment leave days and are not paid holidays.
Employees have the choice of the following options to cover the non-paid days during the holiday closure period:
- Employees may utilize vacation days in advance of their actual accrual.
- Newly hired employees, represented and policy-covered, may utilize their vacation accruals before completing six (6) continuous months on pay status.
- Employees with accrued compensatory time may elect to use it to cover the three days off or to offset the use of vacation time.
- Employees who do not wish to use vacation or compensatory time off may request leave without pay based on departmental approval.
In this case, employees will not lose hourly vacation or sick leave accruals for these three days. In accordance with regular procedures for scheduling vacation, employees should notify their supervisors in advance as to which option or combination of options they choose to use.
For represented employees, closure days will be processed in accordance with existing contract provisions, and are subject to discussion and/or collective bargaining where applicable.
Comments or questions regarding application of personnel policies during the closure may be sent to the Central HR Policy Analyst at email@example.com. Comments or questions regarding application of collective bargaining agreements may be sent to Alex Najera, Employee and Labor Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or extension 2-4721.