Dear Campus Community,
As COVID-19 testing resources and regularity have become more broadly available, the numbers of confirmed cases have increased across the country and would be expected to do so within our UCR community.
We became aware this week that a member of the Barn staff has tested positive for COVID-19. Please join us in expressing optimism for their speedy recovery.
Following established procedures from the UCR Office of Emergency Management, local and state guidelines, as well as guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), we have required:
• The affected individual to refrain from coming to campus for at least 14 days.
• All colleagues who had close/prolonged contact with this individual to do the same.
No guests of the Barn have been determined to have been at risk for exposure.
Due to the continuing partial campus closure, the Barn has been operating with a limited staff since it reopened this July. With contract tracing and the resulting 14-day quarantine required of several Barn staff, we have decided to close the Barn for the next two weeks with the tentative plan to reopen Monday, November 2.
We thank all of our guests who have put their trust in us since we opened this summer. Upon reopening, we will continue to take every precaution to ensure we operate safely in this COVID environment:
• Our tables (max 4 guests) are distanced 6 feet apart, disinfected after every use, and sanitized nightly.
• We require face coverings for staff and for guests whenever they are not eating or drinking.
• Social spacing markers are strategically placed throughout the Barn, along with sanitation stations, and physical distancing is enforced.
• Entry / exit points are contactless and so is our payment system.
• Each night, we disinfect and sanitize all high-touch surfaces, bathrooms, and other common areas.
Third-party specialists will be brought in to complete an enhanced 360 disinfection of the Barn prior to reopening.
These are just some of the ways we will continue to operate with the safety of our guests and staff top-of-mind when we reopen.
We understand this news may raise uncertainty and create concern among members of our community. Below, we have listed resources for students, staff and faculty to address physical and mental health needs by phone.
• Students should call Student Health Services at 951-827-3031, if they develop flu-like symptoms.
• Staff and faculty who have been in contact with someone in the past 30 days who has COVID-19 and are experiencing a fever with cough or trouble breathing, should contact the UCR Health 24/7 Hotline at 844-827-6827.
• Students may contact Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) at 951-827-5531 to speak with a counselor.
• Staff and faculty can contact Faculty and Staff Assistance Program at 951-781-0510 or 800-266-0510 for confidential counseling, referral, or other resources.
• Residents of the Riverside community can schedule COVID-19 tests in the neighborhood closest to them.
You are part of a community that cares about you. Your health and safety are top priority, guiding each decision we make. Thank you for all you are doing to support one another and UCR’s broader efforts to help fight the spread of COVID-19.
We will keep you informed through email, the Barn website, and through other means, as appropriate. We thank the campus community for continuing to support us, because we’ll continue to be here for you.
Stay safe and stay well.