Building Core Supervisory Competencies Program – Call for Applications

Wed, 07/15/2020 - 12:00
HR Employee and Organizational Development
July 15, 2020

Applications deadline:  Friday, August 21, 2020 | 5:00 p.m.

Program orientation:  September 17, 2020

Program Cost: $604

The Building Core Supervisory Competencies Program is specifically designed for employees with two to five years of supervisory experience** who want to develop a broad range of skills and competencies that can enhance their performance as a supervisor and leader.  

The program focuses on critical competencies such as communication, conflict management, establishing your leadership philosophy, and offers a comprehensive offering of electives which provide instruction in other management areas. All aspects of the program emphasize participation and practice through the use of self-assessment inventories, assignments designed to take the learning back to the workplace, and small group exercises.  

Here's what past participants have to say about the program:  

“The leadership qualities I was able to gain and develop, inform all of my decisions and have truly changed me as a leader and a person. I highly recommend this program to those who would like to develop different leadership perspectives and make meaningful connections with cross campus partners.

“This has truly strengthened me as a leader and has contributed greatly to what I have to offer my department and the campus. I am incredibly grateful for the experience and colleagues I have been able to connect with and learn from.”

“We each walked away with tangible skills that we’re putting to practice in our offices, and also a wider network of collaborators, committed to fostering professional development and promoting diversity and inclusion across UC Riverside.”

“Not only did the trainings give me insight and tools to what it takes to be a competent supervisor, but I also learned much about UCR that I did not know – in spite of being on campus for more than 15 years.”

Program Components

A full schedule with dates and times will be provided during orientation.  Core course topics are below.  The order of sessions is subject to change.  Some courses will be offered in multi-day sessions.

Orientation: September 17, 2020

Core #1: 7 Habits for Managers - Part I

Core #2: 7 Habits for Managers - Part II

Core #3: Ethics

Core #4: Situational Leadership

Core #5: Communication

Core #6: Conflict Management

Core #7: Unconscious Bias

Core #8: Program Wrap-up | Presentations | Graduation

Application Requirements

•     Completed application, including the supervisor's endorsement and signature.
  •     Applicants must currently have the full scope of supervisory duties (including supervision of at least 2 FTEs) or must be in a title code allowing the performance of the full scope of supervisory duties.
  •     Please include an FAU for recharge of program fees with your application.  

For more program details, including program application, please visit the Building Core Supervisory Competencies Program website.

Please email your applications to Seana Nunez-Grider at seana.nunez@ucr.edu.  

**Individuals who are new to the supervisory role are encouraged to complete the UC People Management Certificate Program (available online via the Learning Management System).