On August 30, 2022, the Policy on Vaccination Programs – With Interim Amendments was issued, with an effective date of September 1, 2022, as instruction resumes and prior to the influenza season. The University of California Office of the President invites comments on revisions from the interim amendments to finalize this Presidential Policy.
This policy is renamed “Policy on Vaccination Programs” and primarily consolidates the University's existing systemwide vaccination requirements (other than the Student Immunization Policy) into a systemwide policy with Program Attachments for the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and the Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Program. Key revisions that are being distributed for Systemwide Review include the following:
• The COVID-19 Vaccination Program Attachment incorporates language from the July 15, 2021 SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program policy. This is primarily a reorganization and simplification of existing policy language and is not intended to institute substantive changes in policy regarding existing COVID-19 vaccination requirements.
• In alignment with CDC guidance, the deadlines for completion of the primary COVID-19 vaccination series have been extended to allow for a longer interval period between doses.
• Locations are encouraged to evaluate COVID-19 Vaccination Program Participation, but Healthcare Locations are not required to do so.
• The COVID-19 Vaccination Program corrective action/discipline language for policy-covered academic appointees has been clarified.
• The Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Program Attachment incorporates language from the President’s past flu vaccine Executive Orders. The Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Program is an Opt-Out program, which means Covered Individuals may decline vaccination after receiving vaccine education. The Program has an annual compliance date of no later than December 1. Locations may choose an earlier compliance date. The first compliance date for new employees depends on when their first date of employment is in relation to the flu season.
• The language has been updated throughout consistent with current public health usage.
• The following groups are Covered Non-Affiliates instead of Covered Individuals: “K-12 students and children enrolled in day care programs and camps sponsored by the University or operated at a University Facility or Location; as well as individuals enrolled in UC extension programs, continuing education, lifelong learning, seminars, workshops, and other non-degree-granting educational programs.” For clarity, individuals enrolled in professional development and recreational programs are also included in the definition of “Covered Non-Affiliates.” This provides Locations with flexibility on local program implementation as Locations define the requirements for Covered Non-Affiliates.
The revisions were made in consultation with Systemwide Human Resources, Academic Personnel and Programs, UC Health, and UC Legal.
The draft policy is posted on UCNet. For more information, you may also review the Systemwide Review Cover Letter. Any questions or comments from the Academic Senate and campus academic administrators should be submitted to VP-ACADEMICPERSONNEL@ucop.edu. Any comments or questions from staff employees should be submitted to email@example.com no later than December 15, 2022.