Rahul Almeida wins 2024-25 Strauss Scholarship

Author: Malinn Loeung
August 13, 2024

Smiling college student

Rahul Almeida, a biology undergrad expected to graduate from UC Riverside in 2025, has been awarded $15,000 from the Donald A. Strauss Foundation to fund an educational intervention program he organized called, “Food for Thought.”

The project focuses on the Moreno Valley Unified School District and includes all education levels. In the program, college students train high school students, who then deliver nutrition presentations to elementary students. Almeida said that high schoolers will develop essential “soft skills,” enhancing their professional growth and preparing them for future opportunities.

Almeida chose this community based on the 2021 Riverside County Public Health Community Health Needs Assessment findings. Surveyed residents identified obesity, diabetes, poor nutrition/diet, and limited access to healthy foods as some of the important health problems that need to be fixed in their community. He says early nutrition intervention among youth would establish a foundation and empower them to make informed food decisions as adults.

Food for Thought is a result of Almeida’s experiences in India and the Inland Empire. He observed parallels between both communities regarding health disparities.

“I lived in India during my elementary and middle school years and saw many of my friends struggling with access to nutritious food,” said Almeida. “When I came to college at UCR, I saw that malnutrition, a common consequence of poor nutrition stemming from food insecurity, is a major risk factor for heart disease. My interests and life experiences motivated me to pursue and create opportunities to make strong positive impacts in my community.”

Almeida is one of 13 2024-25 Strauss Scholars from colleges/universities across California. To be eligible, students must attend a participating campus, complete at least one year of college, have a GPA in the upper one-third of their class, and desire to impact communities.

"I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to be funded for this project by the Strauss Foundation. We must attack the problem at the root by educating the next generation,” said Almeida. “Food insecurity is a major issue in the Inland Empire, and I am motivated to bring together a group of passionate college students to impact our community.”

"The Strauss Scholarship empowers students to create meaningful community impact,” said Gladis Herrera-Berkowitz, Undergraduate Education’s director of Center for Undergraduate Research and Engaged Learning, or CUREL, who oversees Prestigious Awards.

Herrera-Berkowitz’s office supports students in refining their ideas to address community needs, connecting with local partners, and developing sustainable proposals. Throughout the process, students improve their written, oral, and networking skills.

Almeida is a student ambassador for the University Honors program and a public health peer for The Well. He hopes to apply to medical school and pursue his dream of becoming a cardiologist, working with underserved communities.