Of the world’s scientist population, those included in Clarivate Analytics’ Highly Cited Researchers annual list are 1 in 1,000. This year, UC Riverside is home to eight of these influential individuals.
Clarivate, previously part of Thomson Reuters, produces this list for their Institute for Scientific Information, which promotes “integrity in research while improving the retrieval, interpretation, and utility of scientific information.”
This year, the organization added 6,602 researchers to its list, which represents a small fraction of all scientists actively publishing. These authors were selected for their exceptional influence and performance in 21 academic fields, or whose impact spans several fields ranging from agricultural sciences to psychiatry.
Clarivate introduced the highly cited list in 2014 to recognize true research pioneers whose papers rank in the top 1% by citations.
While this year’s list includes researchers working in 70 different countries or regions, the majority are based in the U.S., Mainland China, the U.K., Australia or Germany.
Those from UCR include:
• Julia Bailey-Serres, University of California MacArthur Foundation Chair and distinguished professor of genetics (plant and animal science category)
• Alexander Balandin, University of California Presidential Chair Professor and distinguished professor of electrical and computer engineering (cross-field category)
• Sean Cutler, distinguished professor of plant cell biology (plant and animal science category)
• Pingyun Feng, professor of chemistry (cross-field category)
• Timothy Lyons, distinguished professor of biogeochemistry (geosciences category)
• Wei Ren, professor of electrical and computer engineering (engineering category)
• Prue Talbot, professor of cell biology (social sciences category)
• Yadong Yin, professor of chemistry (cross-field category)
The full list, as well as insight into the methodology for choosing those included in it, can be viewed on the Clarivate website, here.