Clarivate Analytics’ Highly Cited Researchers list celebrates authors of papers that rank in the top 1% by citations for their fields. These authors are an elite group, and this year, their ranks include six UC Riverside faculty members.
Of the world’s population of scientists and social scientists, those included in the list are 1 in 1,000, according to Clarivate.
Previously part of Thomson Reuters, Clarivate produces this list for their Institute for Scientific Information, which promotes “integrity in research while improving the retrieval, interpretation, and utility of scientific information.”
The 2022 list includes researchers from 69 countries and regions, though the U.S. is home to the largest number of recognized researchers, with 38% of the names on the list. China has the second largest number, with 16% of the individuals, and the United Kingdom is third, with 8% of the total.
In total, there were 7,225 Highly Cited Researcher designations issued to 6,938 individuals. The number of awards exceeds the number of unique individuals because some researchers are receiving recognition in more than one field of research.
“Research fuels the race for knowledge and it is important that nations and institutions celebrate the individuals who drive the wheel of innovation,” said David Pendlebury, head of research analysis at the Institute for Scientific Information at Clarivate. “These individuals are helping to transform human ingenuity into our world’s greatest breakthroughs – and it is an honor to celebrate their achievements.”
The UCR faculty included on the 2022 list include:
• Julia Bailey-Serres, University of California MacArthur Foundation Chair and distinguished professor of genetics (plant and animal science category)
• Alexander Balandin, University of California Presidential Chair Professor and distinguished professor of electrical and computer engineering (cross-field category)
• Bruce Link, distinguished professor of sociology and public policy (social sciences category)
• Timothy Lyons, distinguished professor of biogeochemistry (geosciences category)
• Wei Ren, professor of electrical and computer engineering (engineering category)
• Prue Talbot, professor of cell biology (social sciences category)
The full list, as well as insights into the methodology for choosing the names included, can be viewed on the Clarivate website, here.
(Cover image: Evgeny Lonskov/iStock/Getty)